This is my niece, Dominique. Or NeeNee as most of us in the family call her. NeeNee was all but 6 or 7 in her sassiness in this picture here...and she hasnt stopped being that way since. She's a go-getta if I've ever seen one....Pregnant at an early age, she knew that being a mother would not take away from her life but only add to it. And that has been the way it has been. She's worked really hard for everything she has and has planned to do and 90 % of the time...she's done it on her own. She's enrolled in college but because there were times that she didnt have anyone to watch her daughter, she's taken off school for complete semesters or only taken a class here or there until she could do it 'full time'. So, the entire time, she's worked possibly two jobs at a time, raised a daughter on her own AND went to school.
NeeNee came to me about a year ago and said she wanted to join the National Guard. I told her to think about it because yes, its the National Guard but if they need you...they will call you up. She never mentioned it again until a couple months ago. She was ready and who better for her to talk to but L. I called him and told him the deal. I told him that yes, she is grown but hey...she's still MY niece. I knew he wouldnt lie to her, feed her full of bullisht, and be completely honest with her. And he did just that.
Not only was she mad because he treated her like JosieBlow off the street, she was a little pertrubed that he didnt put her to the front of his line. Hmmm gotta admit, that threw me for a loop myself....but I digress
Things are going at a quicker pace and now a lot of our family memembers are questioning ME about what the hell is she doing. Its not that she's joing the military...my family is full of it so that isn't a problem. Its just that not a lot of us have joined AFTER we've had children. Which brings up a whole can of worms for everyone to deal with.
I'm scared. I worry about any and all of my family that is serving oversea's or even here. I worry that I've romantizied the whole military thing to her too much. This aint An Officer and a Gentleman. Anyone who knows me, knows I love the military and nooooooooooo its not just because of the men in uniform...(hell, I love a man in fatigues) its also because the honor that goes with the military. The belief IN that honor. Its something to behold when it's truly there....If this is the path she really wishes to take....I wish her only the best and that God be with her in EVERY step she takes.

3 comments:
Wow. That is a huge undertaking. I can't imagine all the issues and stress that surround it.
My thoughts are with y'all.
You're a good aunt, supporting her no matter what.
My brother is in the Gulf now on a boat, and it scares me. He's told me brief stories about opening fire on the boats that get inside the zones.
I pray for him, and all the military, every day.
It is HUGE. Huge. A lot of arrangements have to be set up in advance in regards to her daughter based on the 'in case of...'. As she gets further and further involved, I'm even made more and more aware of her risk and I am constantly asking...'you sure?' ' You sure'...I support her in ev everything she does, especially when she's thought about it and planned it, like she's done in this situation.
I hear stories too and I'm torn between hearing them because I want to know and not hearing them so I dont know too much...
Thanks Ladies.
Post a Comment