Thursday, July 3, 2008

Pre Independence Day

Today is Thursday but considering I’m off tomorrow, it is my ‘Friday’. I love having work days off even though it takes something pretty spectacular for me to take off on a work day. I’m not one to call in sick or call in a vacation day. Performance appraisals have always sung my praises on that.

Tonight is a the 4th of July parade. This part of the holiday I enjoy. They used to have the holiday parade during the day but I’m guessing when people started passing out, they decided to do it later on in the day. After the parade they will block the downtown area off and by tomorrow, there will be like a mini fair with food booths, car shows and animals and animal rides all in the downtown area. NOW that is fun stuff. I take tons of pictures full of people I know and several of people I don’t know. I love catching emotions and interactions of people, even people I don’t know. The boys will probably go with their dad at some point to a bbque with his family in Columbia but tomorrow night, we will watch our cities display and then go over to my Brother B’s house to light some works. This year, surprise of all surprises, the boys said they were too old for fireworks. Even though I don’t buy them nor agree with them, Kerry (their dad) usually will spoil his children rotten by buying them way too many fireworks (even after we divorced)…so don’t get all up in arms that I’m ruining them from a sacred American tradition. They’ve always taken part, I just didn’t support.

Then, on Saturday will be my families bbque. (Usually my family will have holiday traditions on different days to accommodate my boys not being there..yeah…I told you, they are spoiled rotten). There will be food, fun, family and volleyball. Fun times. THAT I love…

My son’s girlfriend (cringe) is to come with us for some of the holiday weekend. I have problems with this and talked to her mom about it. About it not being anything against her daughter, just that I believed them being attached at the hip all day is NOT going to happen. That I’m old school and believe that holidays are meant for family and if your not married to, have the same last name or some sorta blood flowing through your veins, you don’t go to someone elses house on a holiday. She looked at me like I sprouted another head.

Pictures to follow I’m sure….

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hope your weekend is fun. Sounds like it will be busy.

My parents shared your sentiment about the girl/boy friend issues. Family days are for family... So I understand what you are saying.

Jakki said...

My weekend was very nice, thank you very much lisa. Hope yours was too...

You know, I get that from my parents. My parents were very surprised to see his girlfriend even with us for the little amount of time that she was but it was fun.