Monday, April 13, 2009







Easter was WONDERFUL… I cant even put my finger on exactly why.

Maybe it was because there were surprise guests for the planner…guest being two cousins and their families and planner being me. Its always such a ‘pain’ when at the last minute someone calls me and says ‘what are we doing for Easter’ and then expect me to come up with something for all of us to do together. It happens every year for one or two holidays and I’ve decided to just own up and plan all holidays this year. Does that sound presumptuous???? Anywho…when I walked into my parents house a little girl came out of the bathroom struggling with zipping and buttoning her pants and we both just stopped and looked at each other….

ME: hi
Unknown Child in My Childhood Home: hello
Blink
Blink
Blink
ME: do you need help zipping up?
Unknown Child in My Childhood Home: no
Blink
Blink
Blink
ME: do you need help buttoning up?
Unknown Child in My Childhood Home: no
Blink
Blink
ME: honey…who are you?
Unknown Child in My Childhood Home: Kenya
Blink
ME: honey…who is your mama?

Well my cousin came out and everyone thought it was hilarious to put Jakki on edge. From that point on, I had a shadow and the shadows name was Kenya and it was so fun almost cleansing to be around her. I found this little girl snuggling up to me most of the day no matter what and I didn’t realize until I got home how much I needed it.

My grandmothers birthday was Easter also and I felt bad for not getting her flowers. I always put red carnations on her site because that is what she loved. She loved the color red and she loved carnations so…that is what she gets several times a year. Sitting at my mothers table…listening to everyone talking and laughing I felt that little twinge come over me and my mom asked me what was wrong. When I told her she said that everything that had happened was my flowers to her and how much she enjoyed everyone being around and THAT made me feel better because yeah…That is what she loved.

I imagine her sitting in her rocking chair, in the corner of my mother’s dining room, rocking. Rocking back and forth…grinning. Laughing at what so and so said (the convo’s on hair yanking…don’t ask). Yelling at my Dad for the small oven fire (yes, we had one) and not knowing what the hell he was doing. Kissing the little girls on the top of their braids and then yelling at the boys they ‘betta turn that TV down!’. Laughing at the fact that we hid 76 Easter eggs but found 82. So I hope she had a very happy birthday and a wonderful Easter.

5 comments:

Gina said...

How cute is Miss Kenya?!??!

Jakki said...

totally cute! they will be back down for the 4th of July and she already told me 'i'm stayin' with you, okay now?' All I could say was yes...

Raven said...

How do you get more eggs than you put in?

Lisa said...

Awww. Your post gave me goosebumps. And you and Miss Kenya? Love that photo! You both are so beautiful.

Jakki said...

Thank you Lisa!