Friday, February 27, 2009

Last week, my doctor called me in, spur of the moment, to have labs done on Friday. Tuesday morning I get a call….

Me: oh oh
NP: why do you say that?
Me: because if everything were okay, I’d be getting a postcard in the mail
NP: you’ve been through this before….

Yeah…blood labs were horrible so I went into the doctor yesterday. I’ve lost 19 pounds total since I was diagnosed….

Me: yeah!!! That’s good right?
Dr: have you been eating right?
Me: ummmm no….
Dr: have you been exercising regularly?
Me: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh noooooooooooooooooo.
Dr: sooooooooooo tell me what’s good about it….
Me: heeeeeeeeeellllllllloooo I lost 19 pounds…(in that tone that sounds like I’m saying ‘c’mon…I’m cute aint I????)
Dr: stare stare stare and stare some more.

Miss-management of a disease can cause loss of weight which is not good. Okay whatever. I still think it’s a good thing.

All joking aside, a coworker came up to me this morning and we were chitchatting about my addiction to Lays BBQue potatoes chips. I was telling her that I stocked up on them and bought them in bulk when they were on sale when she reached over and touched my hand. She looked me in the eyes and said that I can do this. That I was strong. She remembered when my ex had called me, at work, and asked for a divorce. She remembered me crying in my supervisor’s office (she politely kept out the fact that I was on the floor). She said that over the years I had handled my divorce with dignity and strength that she respected and if I can conquer that, I could conquer diabetes…

The whole conversation lasted maybe 6 minutes but boy…I wont to replay it in my mind over and over again. I am strong. I have dignity. And I can do anything. I tell myself that, most times as a question more so than an affirmation of anything but to have someone else say it…it means a lot. People please be aware of your interactions with others…you never know the impact you have on them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol @ helloooooo i lost 19lbs.

glad you got an angel @ the job. nothing like some warm kind unexpected word.

Anonymous said...

Hey lady, I know you can do it!

How awesome is it going to be when you lose 19 pounds because you did it the right way?

Unknown said...

Well said. You ARE strong, you can do this.

We're here to help.